Mar 9, 2020
What if finding true sobriety is so much more than ditching our substances?
In this powerful interview, my friend and brilliant author Seth Haines shares the heart wrenching story behind how he became an alcoholic after receiving his young son's terminal diagnosis, how he ultimately won his battle against addiction, and how he found true wholeness.
Seth also shares the heart behind his newest book Waking Up and how can we truly wake up physically, emotionally, and spiritually to so much more.
1. The role of pleasure and self-control in our lives, and how they point us to sobriety.
2. The science behind addiction and how it can help us change addictive patterns.
3. Why our smallest vices are still costing us big.
1. The opposite of drunkenness is not just not drinking. The opposite of drunkness, true sobriety, is being awake to the divine love of God and the world around you.
2. I was using a substance to numb the pain. I won’t only say a substance. Social media was something I used, books, binge-watching Netflix. All of these things became addictions.
3. We have the choice and the chance to wake up. We have the choice and the chance to say, I believe we can wake up. I believe we can wake up from despair. I believe we can wake up from the pain. I believe we can wake up to something beautiful.
4. God didn’t just give us pleasure for the fun of it, it's an invitation to do something.
5. Do the work to wake up! Do the next right thing.
1. What is your policy on chores in your house with all those boys? (34:18)
2. Why am I afraid to pray out loud? I live in fear of people asking me to pray. (39:1)
3. How can I improve my Instagram engagement? (41:58)
Links to great things we discussed:
1. Seth Haines
2. The Book Of Waking Up
3. The Oh Hellos- Eurus
4. Typhoon- Offerings
5. The Two Popes
7. Atomic Habits
8. Fijifilm X100V Digital Camera
Hope you loved this episode! Be sure to subscribe in iTunes and slap some stars on a review! :)