Oct 21, 2019
I’m with the lovely and wise Ruth Chou Simons and we are talking all things boy mom, blogging, and blossoming in the hidden seasons.
We'll also talk about her transition from a Chinese-speaking chemistry major to a Best-selling author (in her second language) and artist and the secret behind remembering your child's birthday if you have a million kids.
In this episode we discuss:
1. What she learned in the busy seasons of life
2. Why she's glad she didn't step foot on a stage until her 40s
3. Priceless advice for women starting a business and a platform
1. What the Lord was really wanting was Him more than my own success or my own kingdom or my own abilities. Because really if you're just chasing what you are good at then it can get kind of stressful because you think I’m good at this, can I make more money? Can I get more notoriety, and this, that, and the other. That can’t be the way we are called to live.
2. We think we want to be inspiring. We want to encourage others. We want to run out there and lead and be effective in our generation. I’m saying to all the women coming up behind me- Hey, press on and lean into Jesus first yourself before trying to make something public out of it because the very best work that you will do will come out of an overflow of a rich and invested hidden personal life of growth.
3. The art of becoming is saying I surrender to the process here and the process might include me falling on my face.
4. Cultivating the inner man and inner woman is so much more important than what you put out publicly and we’re responsible to make sure that those things line up. Because you’ll burn out if the inner person doesn’t match what you're producing on the outside.
5. The truth is we don’t just know the truth, we let the truth transform us and that process is really sanctification and God does that.
6. You’re always worshipping. You don’t get to choose whether you want to be a worshipper or not. It’s just you only get to choose what you give your love and affection and your greatest esteem to. You can either worship your own life and your own successes and your accomplishments or you can worship Him who’s worthy and that’s Christ.
In this episode I answer these questions:
1. Share a funny memory you have with your husband? (51:15)
2. How can you grow a strong community early in your faith walk? (55:10)
3. Where can I find a mentor or accountability partner when starting an online business? (56:44)
Links to great things we discussed:
1. Ruth Chou Simons
3. Andrew Peterson Is He Worthy?
5. 12 Ways Your Phone is Changing You
6. Mrs. Meyer’s Room Freshener
7. Downton Abbey
8. Hillsong Worship No One But You
9. Blissdom Conference
Hope you loved this episode! Be sure to subscribe in iTunes and slap some stars on a review! :)